Some beneficiaries are not authentic rebel returnees
Posted on | Friday, 8 April 2011 | 1 Comment
by Andrew Doga-ong
BONTOC, Mt. Province - The 22 rebel surrenderees who availed of the rebel returnee livelihood program of the provincial government are authentic former members of the communist front.
This was the reaction of one rebel surrenderee William Ekwasen to an open letter of the New Peoples Army (NPA) under the Leonardo Pacsi Command alleging that some beneficiaries of the rebel returnee livelihood program are “dubious” saying that they are fake rebel surrenderees.
Ekwasen, who assumed the nom de plume Ka Front, stayed with the underground movement starting 2005 until the early days of 2007 when he finally decided to rejoin the mainstream society.
As evidence that they were former NPA fighters with the aim of returning to the folds of the law, the livehood program beneficiaries were required to show documents that they had undergone the process as required by existing national law. Documents are then authenticated by the military or the police who received and conducted the tactical interrogation.
Under the livelihood program, qualified rebel returnee will get P5,000 monthly allowance in exchange to a community service he/she will render to his/her own community. Community service could include reforestion, health services, securing barangay managed institutions and public schools, and maintenance of community irrigations, pathways and roads.
Disqualified in the program are rebel returnees with pending cases in courts involving crimes against chastity, rape, torture, kidnapping for ransom, use and trafficking of illegal drugs and other crimes for personal ends and violations of international laws.
Rebel returnee beneficiaries who refuse to send their children to school who are of school age, those who fail to live within the norms of the community and those who continue their relations with the underground movement could be disqualified in the program.
Barangay chairmen were tasked to supervise the program beneficiaries in their barangays.
Expressing their gratitude to the present provincial leadership, Ekwasen said the rebel returnee livelihood program is a great help for them to start a normal life.
Governor Leonard Mayaen announced last year his administration’s plans to come up with a livelihood program to address the concerns of former communist rebels who returned to the fold of the law. He said special privilege must be afforded to rebel surrenderees for them to start a normal life. * (PIA-CAR/ Mt. Province)
BONTOC, Mt. Province - The 22 rebel surrenderees who availed of the rebel returnee livelihood program of the provincial government are authentic former members of the communist front.
This was the reaction of one rebel surrenderee William Ekwasen to an open letter of the New Peoples Army (NPA) under the Leonardo Pacsi Command alleging that some beneficiaries of the rebel returnee livelihood program are “dubious” saying that they are fake rebel surrenderees.
Ekwasen, who assumed the nom de plume Ka Front, stayed with the underground movement starting 2005 until the early days of 2007 when he finally decided to rejoin the mainstream society.
As evidence that they were former NPA fighters with the aim of returning to the folds of the law, the livehood program beneficiaries were required to show documents that they had undergone the process as required by existing national law. Documents are then authenticated by the military or the police who received and conducted the tactical interrogation.
Under the livelihood program, qualified rebel returnee will get P5,000 monthly allowance in exchange to a community service he/she will render to his/her own community. Community service could include reforestion, health services, securing barangay managed institutions and public schools, and maintenance of community irrigations, pathways and roads.
Disqualified in the program are rebel returnees with pending cases in courts involving crimes against chastity, rape, torture, kidnapping for ransom, use and trafficking of illegal drugs and other crimes for personal ends and violations of international laws.
Rebel returnee beneficiaries who refuse to send their children to school who are of school age, those who fail to live within the norms of the community and those who continue their relations with the underground movement could be disqualified in the program.
Barangay chairmen were tasked to supervise the program beneficiaries in their barangays.
Expressing their gratitude to the present provincial leadership, Ekwasen said the rebel returnee livelihood program is a great help for them to start a normal life.
Governor Leonard Mayaen announced last year his administration’s plans to come up with a livelihood program to address the concerns of former communist rebels who returned to the fold of the law. He said special privilege must be afforded to rebel surrenderees for them to start a normal life. * (PIA-CAR/ Mt. Province)

Category:
Mountain Province
Comments
Search
Archives
-
►
2013
(7)
- ► 07/07 - 07/14 (3)
- ► 06/09 - 06/16 (4)
-
▼
2011
(325)
- ► 06/19 - 06/26 (11)
- ► 06/12 - 06/19 (37)
- ► 06/05 - 06/12 (9)
- ► 05/22 - 05/29 (11)
- ► 05/15 - 05/22 (10)
- ► 05/08 - 05/15 (14)
- ► 05/01 - 05/08 (9)
- ► 04/24 - 05/01 (24)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (19)
- ► 04/10 - 04/17 (19)
-
▼
04/03 - 04/10
(44)
- A Sad Day for Filipinos
- City to reconcile conflicting laws on land disposi...
- Banaue Imbayah festival promises culture and fun
- Health office records 3 new HIV in Baguio
- Police nab jueteng bettors
- Dalog to MP folks: strengthen culture of unity, so...
- Red Cross Kalinga gives first aid training to Army
- Assistance Program benefits 540 Abreñan students
- Ambuclao Dam fully operational by October
- Cordilleran athletes reign in URCC
- SLU Boys sponsor golf for a cause to fund Halfway ...
- Some beneficiaries are not authentic rebel returnees
- 3 Miscarriage Symptoms That You Must Check!
- How To Look Taller The Easy Way
- How To Search For A Job Online
- OWWA provides scholarships, livelihood to dependen...
- Baguio City judge convicts woman drug pusher
- SPES accommodates 2,860 CAR deserving students
- 4th Eco-Tourism, Bendiyan Festival set
- 10 A &E passers join regular high school graduation
- P1M MJ eradicated in Bakun
- Police chief hopeful jueteng to stop in CAR
- Greening Program targets to plant 3.4 million tree...
- DOH to public: support Iligtas sa Tigdas campaign
- Kalinga hires 89 students for summer work
- TESDA certifies 882 skilled Cordillera workers
- DOLE Kalinga to OFWs: be cautious on big offers fr...
- DepEd-Abra to teachers: Benefits ready for release...
- DTI to public: be careful on freebies
- Dolores, Abra to hold first “Sakuting’ Festival on...
- NPA couple surrenders
- Task force to pursue peace dialogue between Lubo c...
- Fongwan to cops: strengthen drive vs illegal activ...
- Oil leaks in mines burea office
- UNFAO pours P6.1M rehab assistance to typhoon-affe...
- Tuba seeks exemption in subdivision fees to lot do...
- Barangay Tinongdan seeks users fee from Binga dam ...
- Abra Dads to Boliney, Manabo people: Refrain from ...
- Farinas to BSP: produce more coins
- Domogan oks night market, solicits support
- City to enhance calamity preparedness
- Dads want city public hearing on charter change
- BIR to public: pay taxes before April 15 deadline
- PLCPD launches 7th Annual PopDev Media Awards in B...
- ► 03/27 - 04/03 (33)
- ► 03/20 - 03/27 (48)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (37)
22 June 2011 at 23:26
We can not blame those people who say, they are RR and people who say they are not. These people who say, they are not, because they have the reason/s to say it so. I dont think, conscience nowadays count for a moral excellence, if your stomach is empty. On the other hand, there are people who testifies that those people are really RR and they deserves to be acknowledged and to be assisted thru livelihood programs by the government so as they can become an asset of communities they are living in. Though, it is also a fact that there are livelihood programs of the government purposely for the RR, but it who are benefiting are not really the RR, they are the faked RRs. Sometime, i don't understand, why and how those people were able to received such assistance while infact, they are not RR? I just don't know how people in the government come to verify who really are the RR and who are not, those who are fake, but they claim, they RR in exchange for an assistance.