Taba-ao Students’ Day: A vehicle to Excellence, Leadership and Camaraderie

Posted on | Tuesday 21 June 2011 | 2 Comments

By Jun Pitas


Since this annual event came to life in our very small barangay Taba-ao in 2000, this has been the most prestigious event in our locality, even more prestigious than our barangay assembly. It has just concluded its 11th year of pursuit last May and it was very successful. It is another showcase of grandeur coined by the six participating sitios of Taba-ao. Whatever our lapses may be, I’m still proud to be part and a product of Students’ Day.

Students’ Day was inspired by the Sanguniang Kabataan in 1999 when they conducted a sports fest to be participated in by the different sitios of Taba-ao: Abiang, Apunan, Daclan, Dontog, Legwe and Ubod. Apunan and Ubod were merged since they have lesser population and geographically too close to each other. Seeing the significance of uniting the youth, supportive members of the community organized a well-defined and well-prepared event to bring the confidence, talent and skills of the participants out. Now, not only students but even the out of school youths and parents participate in the event especially in the street dancing competition.

Dr. Cherrelene Commom, former high school teacher at the Governor Bado Dangwa Agro-Industrial School (GBDAIS) and now the Teacher-in-Charge if GBDAIS-Extension in Taba-ao and Jimmy Fong, former reporter of ABS-CBN Baguio now a UP Baguio professor, organized Students’ Day in 2000. Upon the success of the event, thanks to our very supportive barangay Council formerly Headed by Sanio Coilan, in the succeeding years, our very own Students’ Day is funded by the local government.

Aside from the barangay assembly, Students’ Day is our fiesta. We have literary and musical contests, indoor games, and of course, the highlight of the event is the glamorous pageant, the search for Mr. and Ms. Students’ Day.

It used to be a one-day affair but now divided into two. First night is the talent presentation of the candidates and the literary and musical contest. The second day is also packed with other activities participated in by pupils, students, and even out of school youth. The glamorous pageant is scheduled in the evening.

From the activities I saw leadership, participation, cooperation and camaraderie among the participating sitios. I also see the laughter among the audience. I can also see nervousness not only of the participants but also from their parents. I can also see proud parents of the wonderful performance of their children.  Students’ Day is a chance for bright, talented and skilled children to capture the awe of the locals. It is also their stepping-stone in their endeavor in the future.

I can still remember when I was in the sixth grade when I represented my sitio (Abiang) in the oration contest and my older sister Finney (she was in third year high school at that time, she ended Third Runner-up). I was nervous then especially that the other participants were much older than I am. They were in high school and I was then an elementary graduate. What do I have to compete with those people? Sadly I did not win and only garnered the second place but it does not matter. The important thing is I learned how to conquer my fear. I gained confidence in speaking in front of other people. Next time we had a mass health screening, Sir Fong asked me to deliver a speech of gratitude in front of the community and visitors from the different government agencies and Japanese individuals from the JICA office.

From then on I clearly see the value Students’ Day. It is a test of the values most needed in the local and global market: the value of leadership, cooperation, Christian spirit and competence.

If not also because of Student’s Day, I did not get my first job while still in college. I consecutively hosted the pageant for three years since 2009. Upon seeing my performance (fluency in the English language) a neighbor once approached me while inside a store few months after the pageant and asked me if I want to be an ESL Teacher. Feeling excited for the first job ever, I accepted the offer. Without Students’ Day, I don’t have any job experience I can write on my resume after college to make it more competitive.

May the spirit of excellence, leadership, and camaraderie live along us as we part again to pursue our every endeavor. Let us see each other again next year!

Long live Taba-ao, long live Student’s Day, long live everyone!

Comments

2 Responses to “Taba-ao Students’ Day: A vehicle to Excellence, Leadership and Camaraderie”

  1. Anonymous
    22 June 2011 at 02:07

    Congratulations, Taba-ao! Long Live

  2. Anonymous
    22 June 2011 at 06:14

    nice one pete...u...proudly iTaba-ao

Leave a Reply